South Australia is rich in building stone.
Given the State’s historic lack of timber for construction, and even for fuelling brick kilns, building stone has been used more extensively here than in any other Australian State.
Come on a walk along North Terrace to interact with the rich diversity of building stone and natural stone used in numerous applications, both historic and modern. In addition, important aspects of South Australia’s heritage are revealed. Locations do not include every example of natural stone utilised in this city precinct but do provide an excellent representative sample of South Australian building stone, coupled with examples of stones that have been imported from interstate and overseas. Take photos of the places you visit and complete a quiz before you leave them. Level up in the game as your quiz scores rise and when finished rate, review and share your experience on facebook and twitter.
Designed and developed as a tutorial activity for the UniSA Environmental Geology course but available for the public to experience and enjoy as well.
Check out the companion webpage here
HOW TO PLAY
- Ensure your Apple or Android device is fully charged
- Download and install the Mobile Learning Academy app onto your smart mobile device from either theApple App Store or Google Play (sorry not available for Windows)
- Sign-up within the app for a free players account
- Search for this game on the app (use Nearby or a Search term like geology)
- Download associated media
- Click the START button to begin playing
- Read the instructions and navigate to the first place marker – your position is shown as a blue dot
- When your position (moving blue dot) overlays the place marker it activates to reveal text to read, videos and photos to view and at most places a quiz to answer. Swipe up/down and across to reveal each new screen.
- When completed, close the window and move to the next location
- Upload photos & notes and rate, review and share your experience on facebook and twitter.
- When finished, come back to this website, login and playback your activity and see your photos.